Addison is in the heart of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, just north of Dallas proper. It's a center for business in the metro area, yet it maintains a close-knit neighborly atmosphere. Addison has excellent municipal services, such as a city-wide wireless Internet network, along with outstanding parks and recreation programs, adding to the city's charm. The area is within 20 minutes from downtown Dallas and has easy access to major highways within the city.Find Homes in Addison
Dallas is the epicenter of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex and one of the business and cultural hubs in all the United States. In just the past 20 years, Dallas has been the scene of explosive growth in upper-scale lofts, apartments and condominiums, catering to upwardly mobile young professionals who crave access to art, culture, great food and entertainment. Dallas is home to some of the best public schools in the nation as well as to the NBA's Dallas Mavericks and the NHL's Dallas Stars.Find Homes in Dallas
Coppell is a small city in the northwest part of Dallas County, located in the heart of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. This bedroom community has one of the highest median household incomes in the region, and its homes are usually large brick homes, many bordering creeks and lakes in new developments. Coppell is served by an exemplary school district that features one of the consistently best-rated music programs in the country.Find Homes in Coppell
Carrollton sits in the northern crest of Dallas but rests within three counties in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, including Denton, Dallas and Collin counties. The city has been recognized multiple times by multiple publications as one of the best places to live among small cities. Families relocating to the D/FW Metroplex will love the affordability of homes in this area and its access to big city amenities.Find Homes in Carrollton
Frisco is a booming city, part of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, and the fastest-growing city in the country as of 2009, according to U.S. Census bureau data. From an old town area to golf course lots and country homes on acreage, to resale and new construction by nationally known home builders, there is a multitude of housing styles and price ranges available. Frisco is also home to Major League Soccer's FC Dallas and will soon be the headquarters for the NFL's Dallas Cowboys.Find Homes in Frisco
Allen is a medium-sized city in Collin County just north of Dallas, Texas, and it's one of the fastest-growing communities in the state. It's far enough away from the Metroplex to provide a comfortable, small-town environment yet close enough to take advantage of everything the big city has to offer. Homes are available at a wide range of prices, and the city is well-planned for growth. The city of Allen is known for its pro-business climate, but it might be best known for its high school stadium, a $60M structure that is undergoing repairs in 2014.Find Homes in Allen
McKinney has been one of the fastest-growing cities in the country over the past 15 years. The county seat of Collin County is about a half-hour to the north of Dallas and is a community that offers everything from great golfing to hiking, biking and much more. Homes surround the city's numerous lakes and golf courses. There are plenty of middle- to upper-tier homes from which to choose, and the city was recognized in September 2012 by CNN's Money magazine has being the second-best place to live in the United States.Find Homes in McKinney
Plano is a key part of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex and home to at least a dozen major corporate headquarters from Frito-Lay to J. C. Penney and Toyota Motors USA. Three times Plano has been recognized as the best place to live in the western United States, and Forbes deemed it the safest city in America in both 2010 and 2011. Prospective residents often seek out Plano homes due to its fabulous public school system. Plano homes for sale usually do not last long because of their high demand and their tasteful designs.Find Homes in Plano
Prosper is -- as its name might suggest -- a prosperous upscale suburb in Collin and Denton counties, north of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. Beautiful upper-scale homes are built in the area, but it's far away enough from the big city to maintain its country characteristics. You'll love the view of beautiful farms, ranches and the natural beauty that make Prosper perfect for country living.Find Homes in Prosper
Celina is a small town (pop. 6,028) in both Collin and Denton counties in north Texas, but it's a town on the move having grown by more than 200 percent the past decade and a half. Nevertheless, Celina is a community that maintains all its country charm, located on state Highway 289 and Farm Road 455, 15 miles northwest of McKinney and 12 miles north of Frisco. Celina is a hotbed of residential development, too, with many middle- to upper-scale homes from which to pick.Find Homes in Celina
Irving and Las Colinas, Texas, are communities in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex sought out by home buyers for their business climates and proximity to DFW Airport. Technically a suburb of Irving, Las Colinas was one of the first master-planned communities in the United States, and it's home to three premier country clubs. The area boasts a wealth or art, culture, and sports opportunities and beautiful, private residential communities in Irving. Irving is also home to the PGA's annual Byron Nelson Golf Classic.Find Homes in Irving
Lewisville is a dynamic city in Denton County, roughly a half hour north of Dallas and one of the fastest-growing communities in the United States. Its access to major freeways and big-city amenities make it particularly appealing to upwardly mobile professionals, and Lewisville Lake makes it attractive to families who enjoy fun on the water. The Hank Haney Golf Ranch at Vista Ridge and the Timbercreek Golf Center have raised Lewisville's profile as a primary golf mecca for the Metroplex.Find Homes in Lewisville
Highland Village is north of Dallas by about 30 minutes, and it's part of one of the most quickly growing areas in the region, Denton County. A family-oriented environment for middle- to upper-income families, Highland Village is particularly attractive for professionals who love access to the water as it's right on the edge of Lewisville Lake.Find Homes in Highland Village
Flower Mound is a city located in Denton and Tarrant counties within the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. The city saw a massive housing boom after the construction of DFW Airport in 1974 and has been a coveted community for home buyers ever since thanks to its well-built, affordable middle- and upper-scale homes. Recreational enthusiasts will love Lake Grapevine and Lake Lewisville as well all the wooded hills and panoramic views in the area.Find Homes in Flower Mound
A combination of great schools and an expanding list of amenities is bringing more people to Richardson. Richardson is an affluent inner suburb of Dallas and home of The University of Texas at Dallas (UTD) and the Telecom Corridor® with a high concentration of telecommunications companies. More than 5,000 businesses have operations within Richardson's 28 square miles Richardson is one of the most conveniently located communities in the Metroplex, with access to points in all directions via both major roadways and the DART rail system.Find Homes in Richardson
Schools and convenience to all things Dallas/Fort Worth, including the airport, is part of the draw to Southlake. It’s a popular executive relocation town, balancing sophisticated living with a neighborly community. Southlake, Texas provides the perfect oasis from the frenzy of Dallas/Fort Worth with premier urban planning and attention to the smallest details.Find Homes in Southlake
Keller is located in the heart of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex with easy access to major business and activity centers. Keller has extensive amenities, which include parks, miles of hike and bike trails along meandering creeks, and in-line hockey, soccer, volleyball, basketball and baseball fields. Located nine miles east of the city and one of the busiest airports in the nation, DFW International Airport provides access to anywhere in the United States as well as throughout the world.Find Homes in Keller
Fort Worth is the 16th-largest city in the United States and the fifth-largest city in the state of Texas. The city is in North Central Texas and covers nearly 350 square miles in the counties of Denton, Parker, Wise, and Tarrant. The city is the second-largest in the Dallas–Fort Worth–Arlington metropolitan area (the "DFW Metroplex"). The City of Cowboys and Culture welcomes visitors from around the world to experience the great American West and rich arts and culinary treasures. Fort Worth is located minutes from AT&T Stadium and DFW International Airport. As one visitor says, "unpretentious, laid-back, and charismatic in all the right ways." Fort Worth is comprised of seven primary entertainment districts each offering distinct dining, shopping, entertainment and cultural amenities. In only a few days you can enjoy a range of experiences: from NASCAR racing to rodeos, world-class museums to cowboy cuisine, boutique shopping to a Top 5 zoo, biking to horseback riding.Find Homes in Fort Worth
Thirty minutes from downtown Dallas (in good traffic), on the far shore of Lake Ray Hubbard, lies the little city of Rockwall, Texas. Rockwall offers many different sports complexes as well as activities. For example, Lake Ray Hubbard has several boating marinas and is used for jet skiing and also offers 22 different Golf Courses within 17 miles of the center of Rockwall.Find Homes in Rockwall
Little Elm is a city in Denton County, Texas, United States, and a part of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. Located along the shores of Lake Lewisville, Little Elm is truly a “Town with a lake attitude.” Little Elm sits in the middle of I-35, U.S. highway 380, the North Dallas Tollway and the Sam Rayburn Tollway, so transportation to other parts of the Metroplex is a breeze. Little Elm is located within five miles of professional sports facilities, 10 miles to major employment centers, 10 miles to regional shopping destinations and 35 miles to downtown Dallas. Living in Little Elm places you conveniently close to anything you may need in the DFW region.Find Homes in Little Elm
Garland is a city in the U.S. state of Texas. It is located northeast of Dallas and is a part of the Dallas–Fort Worth metroplex. It is located almost entirely within Dallas County, except a small portion located in Collin and Rockwall countiesFind Homes in Garland
Arlington is a city in Texas, west of Dallas. It's home to the University of Texas at Arlington (UTA), whose campus has a modern planetarium. In River Legacy Parks, trails cut through hardwood forest rich in wildlife. The park also has the River Legacy Living Science Center, with aquariums, terrariums and interactive exhibits. The Dallas Cowboys football team plays at AT&T Stadium, which also hosts concerts.Find Homes in Arlington
Mesquite prospered through the late 19th and early 20th centuries as a farming community, growing cotton, hay, corn, and sugar, and using the railroad to ship raw goods. The town remained predominantly agrarian until after World War II, when the suburban boom took root in Mesquite.
In 1946, the Mesquite Rodeo was founded by Charlie Columbus McNally, and was one of the only rodeos that had a permanent location. By the mid-1980s, the events were being broadcast by ESPN.
In 1959, Big Town Mall opened as the first air-conditioned shopping mall in the United States. The mall was demolished in the summer of 2006, and FedEx opened a logistics center on the property in 2017.
By 1970, the LBJ Freeway (I-635) was constructed, connecting Mesquite to its neighbors, Garland to the north and Balch Springs to the south. Also, in 1971, Town East Mall was constructed. The mall was used by director Ron Howard to film portions of the movie Cotton Candy in 1978. The mall's associated traffic and shops would continue to grow the town.
In 1986, the Mesquite Arena opened its doors as the new home for the Mesquite ProRodeo. By 1998, the facility was expanded to include a convention center, exhibition hall, and a Hampton Inn and Suites.
By the 1990 census, the city had grown to 101,484 people, up from 1,696 residents in 1950.
In 2011, Mesquite passed a law allowing beer and wine sales in the city. The measure had been considered several times for many years, but was always blocked by strong protest against the proposed sales. It was one of the few cities without beer and wine sales in eastern Dallas County before the law came into effect.
In June 2015, the Mesquite Arts Center added a Freedom Park exhibit, in memorial of September 11. The park displays a 15-foot (4.6 m) beam that was recovered from the remains of Ground Zero. The Mesquite Fire Department received the beam in 2011Find Homes in Mesquite
The Colony derives its name from the original Peters Colony. The Peters Colony headquarters was located within the current boundaries of The Colony in the historical community of Stewartsville and the site of the Hedgcoxe War.The Colony is also the site of Bridges Settlement (established during the years of the Republic of Texas and the oldest community in Denton County), Stewarts Creek, Rector, Stoverville and Camey, also known as Camey Spur.
The Colony did not exist before 1973, when home developers Fox and Jacobs (since purchased by Centex) purchased 3,000 acres of land located around State Highway 121 and Farm to Market Road 423. The name "The Colony" was chosen by Fox and Jacobs because they wanted its new development to share a sense of kinship with Texas' early history and "to create a living monument to the spirit and courage of the Peters Colonists ... those men and women who braved considerable hardships to begin new lives, in new homes, on new land." They planned the development to be a new "dream city" consisting primarily of single-family homes grouped as a "colony" and based on the city of Dallas' infrastructure specifications, In 1973, Fox and Jacobs negotiated an agreement with the city of Frisco to begin construction in its extraterritorial jurisdiction. In 1974, street construction began with many streets being named after early settlers and members of the construction crews. The first model homes were completed in August 1974 and the first families moved into their homes in October that year. The homes were served for water services by The Colony Municipal Utility District formed in 1974, electricity via Texas Power and Light, cable television via Lakeside CATV and telephone service via Southwestern Bell.
In 1977, the homeowners associations' petition to disannex the development from the city of Frisco's extraterritorial jurisdiction was approved. The Colony voted to become an incorporated city in January 1977 and became a Home Rule City in 1979. Residents of The Colony participated in two polls to select a name for the new city. Both polls chose the name "The Colony" and the name was ratified by the City Council in May 1977. In 1987, The Colony voted to merge with the small lakeside community of EastvaleFind Homes in The Colony
The city of Grand Prairie was first established as Dechman by Alexander McRae Dechman in 1863. Prior to then, he resided in Young County near Fort Belknap. The 1860 U.S. Federal Census - Slave Schedules shows an A McR Dechman as having 4 slaves, ages 50, 25, 37 and 10. Dechman, learned that he could trade his oxen and wagons for land in Dallas County. In 1863, Dechman bought 239.5 acres (96.9 ha) of land on the eastern side of the Trinity River and 100 acres (40 ha) of timber land on the west side of the river for a broken-down wagon, oxen team and US$200 in Confederate money. He tried to establish a home on the property, but ran into difficulties, so he returned to his family in Birdville before joining in the Civil War. In 1867 he filed a town plat consisting of 50 acres (20 ha) with Dallas County.
After the war, he returned to Birdville for two years before selling that farm in 1867 and moving to Houston, where yellow fever broke out, causing the family to settle in Bryan. In 1876, Dechman traded half his "prairie" property to the T&P Railroad to ensure the railroad came through the town. The railroad named the depot "Dechman", prompting its namesake to relocate his home from Bryan to Dechman. His son Alexander had been living in Dechman and operating a trading post and farm. The first church in the area was the Good Hope Cumberland Sabbath School, established in 1870 by Rev. Andrew Hayter. The church was later renamed West Fork United Presbyterian Church and remains an active church.
The first U.S. post office opened in 1877 under the name "Deckman" rather than "Dechman", because the U.S. Postal Service couldn't read the writing on the form completed to open the post office. Later that same year, after the Postal Service had adopted the "Deckman" name, confusion resulted from the T&P Railroad designation "Grand Prairie". This name was based on maps drawn from around 1850 through 1858 that labeled the area between Dallas and Fort Worth "the grand prairie of Texas". In order to alleviate the confusion, the Postal Service named the post office "Grand Prairie".
The town of Grand Prairie was eventually incorporated as a city in 1909. During World War I and since, Grand Prairie has had a long history with the defense and aviation industry. While the present-day Vought plant on Jefferson Avenue is part of a small strip within the Dallas city limits, it was originally in Grand Prairie. During World War II the North American Aviation Plant B produced the Consolidated B-24 Liberator and the P-51C and K Mustang variants. After the war, Vought Aircraft took over the plant. This later became Ling Temco Vought (LTV) and then eventually returned to the Vought moniker. The plant was the production site for the F-8 Crusader and the A-7 Corsair II aircraft of the 1950–1989 time period. The LTV Missile and Space division produced missiles such as the Scout and MLRS. This division was eventually sold to Lockheed Martin, which continues to operate in Grand Prairie. Grand Prairie was also the North American headquarters for Aérospatiale Helicopter. This company eventually became Airbus Helicopters, Inc., the U.S. subsidiary of Airbus Helicopters.
In 1953, the mayor and city council of Grand Prairie attempted to annex nearly 70 square miles (180 km2) of then-unincorporated and largely undeveloped land in southern Dallas and Tarrant counties. Vehement debate ensued, and the legal pressure from cities like Arlington, Duncanville and Irving wound up overturning part of the annexation attempt.Find Homes in Grand Prairie
The community was first settled in the early 1850s. In 1842, Thomas Keenan, Isaac B. Webb, and William Cochran received original land grants in the area. By 1843, a community called Mustang Branch had been established. Mr. Cochran later changed the name to Farmers Branch to reflect the area's rich soil and farmland. Farmers Branch was the first location of the Texan Land and Emigration Company (or Peters Colony) in 1845. This made the community one of the best-known places in Dallas County during the 1840s because of its advertising throughout Europe and the United States. Baptist minister William Bowles opened a blacksmith shop and gristmill in 1845. On May 5, 1845, Isaac B. Webb donated land for Webb's Chapel Methodist Church, the first formal place of worship in Dallas County. A school was established in the church one year later. Webb became the first postmaster at the Farmers Branch post office, which opened on January 5, 1848. It continued to function until its closure in 1866. The post office reopened in 1875. To assure that railroads would eventually pass through Farmers Branch, prominent early settler Samuel Gilbert and others sold right-of-way through their land in 1874. Around three to four years later, the Dallas and Wichita Railway completed a track from Dallas – through Farmers Branch – to Lewisville. It was absorbed by the Missouri–Kansas–Texas Railroad in 1881. The community had a population of approximately 100 by 1890 with several businesses. The population had grown to 300 during the early 1900s. A brick school building was constructed in 1916. The number of people living in the community remained stable until after World War II.
Farmers Branch was incorporated as a city after an election was held on February 23, 1946. William F. (Bill) Dodson was elected as the city's first mayor. The implementation of city services began immediately after incorporation. In the 1950 census, Farmers Branch had a population of 915. In 1956, a home rule charter was approved that adopted a council-manager form of government. The rapid growth of the city during the 1950s was made apparent in the 1960 census, which recorded a total of 13,441 residents, a 1,369 percent increase over the 1950 figure. Most of the new residents commuted to nearby Dallas for employment. The population topped 27,000 by 1970. A variety of manufacturers producing items such as steel products, concrete, asphalt, cosmetics, and food products were operating in the city. The number of residents declined to 24,863 in 1980 and 24,250 in 1990. The falling population was offset, however, by the wide variety of businesses located in the city. Farmers Branch is home to a large number of corporations that have attained frontage along Interstate 635, the Dallas North Tollway, and Interstate 35E. Its Dallas North Tollway segment is part of the Platinum Corridor, and its land along Interstate 635 is an extension of the lengthy Irving Prairie office park. By 2000, the city's population had grown to 27,508Find Homes in Farmers Branch
Rowlett is a city in Dallas and Rockwall counties in the U.S. state of Texas, and an eastern suburb of Dallas. The population was 66,285 as of the 2018 Census est. It is a growing, upscale community with nearly $1.5 billion in development in the Dallas–Fort Worth metroplex, located on Lake Ray HubbardFind Homes in Rowlett
Abes Landing is a beautiful community on the North side of Granbury. This community started out as a privately owned ranch operation. Now it is home to an impressive list of amenities including a one of a kind clubhouse, community pool, and private boat slips.Find Homes in Abes Landing
Pecan Plantation is a unique gated community located on 3,000 acres embraced by the Brazos River just below the Lake Granbury dam. Pecan Plantation is not too close and not too far from the Metroplex at only 35 miles from Fort Worth. Much of the property is a working pecan orchard. Wildlife galore abounds within our boarders, where it is not uncommon to see deer every day. There are many amenities to enjoy, Security gates at both entrances are staffed from 7 a.m. until midnight daily and after hours are continually monitored by staff. Our classically beautiful country club offers full dining services from casual dining options to fine cuisine, with banquet specialists and facilities for catered events from the most formal to relaxed down-home gatherings. Our championship-level golf course will appeal to golfers of every level. We offer a six court tennis complex and a recreation center with classes, game room, walking trail and gymnasium, where classes and activities are available for young and old alike. Our aquatics program offers two pools with swim classes and water exercise classes available in the summer. Pooch Plantation, our off leash dog park, is the place for furry friends to play and make friends. Three beach / park areas are located along the Brazos River inside the community. Pecan’s marina is on Lake Granbury and has boat slips for rent along with a store and a grill serving lunch everyday. There are also nature trails, an archery range, an equestrian area with stables and much, much more.Find Homes in Pecan Plantation
DeCordova Bend Estates is a gated golf course community located near Granbury, Texas, and just 45 minutes from downtown Fort Worth, Texas. The aerial view of DeCordova Bend Estates and Lake Granbury captures the expansive shoreline, the main golf course and tennis courts as well as numerous waterfront and water view residences that make the rolling hills of DeCordova a popular choice for newcomers.Find Homes in De Cordova Bend
Located on the west side of Lake Granbury, just outside the city limits of Granbury, off Highway 144 and only 12 miles from Glen Rose. This makes Indian Harbor a very convenient place to live. Nestled in the hills and cedar trees gives you a feel of living in a state park. You get the quietness of living in the country next to a lake, but you are only 10 minutes from the charming town of Granbury, with its historical downtown square and the shops, entertainment and fabulous dining. Indian Harbor’s amenities include a marina with boat slips, a clubhouse with a swimming pool and the Teen Center. All these amenities are waiting for you in a country setting by the lake, with abundant waterfront homes on canals and main body at lake level, and also in the cliffs.Find Homes in Indian Harbor
Catalina Bay on Lake Granbury is a sparkling Mediterranean gated community located just a few minutes from the center of Granbury, Texas and Highway 377. Offering an array of shopping choices, restaurants, and the Granbury movie theater, Catalina Bay is the perfect place for your dream home and an excellent investment in Lake Granbury Real Estate. With beautiful waterfront and an amazing location, Catalina Bay is among the most attractive communities in all of Granbury. Another factor that enhances Catalina Bay’s appeal is its incredible view of Comanche Peak, which in and of itself has become virtually synonymous with the city of Granbury, TX. In Catalina Bay, a variety of lots and residences alike are available including main body, canal front, as well as greenbelt. Catalina Bay is one of the newest and most highly regarded real estate in Granbury.Find Homes in Catalina Bay
Harbor Lakes offers many historical, cultural, and recreational entertainment opportunities close by. This community is a wonderful place to live and to call home. Harbor Lakes Homeowners Association, Inc. is a Texas non-profit corporation. The association was established for the maintenance of the common areas and to provide architectural control and compliance with the covenants, conditions and restrictions of the Declaration.Find Homes in Harbor Lakes
Aledo is a city in Parker County, Texas, United States. The population was 2,716 at the 2010 census. The city is served by the Aledo Independent School District.Find Homes in Aledo
Weatherford is a city in and the seat of Parker County, Texas, United States. The 2010 United States Census stated the population as being 29,969.Find Homes in Weatherford
Wylie is a city and northeastern suburb of Dallas, that was once solely located in Collin County, but now extends into neighboring Dallas and Rockwall Counties in the U.S. state of Texas.Find Homes in Wylie
Sachse is a city in Collin and Dallas counties in the U.S. state of Texas and is part of the DFW Metroplex. A northeastern suburb of Dallas, the city population was 20,329, as of the 2010 census with an estimated population of around 25,000 people today.Find Homes in Sachse
Azle is a small city west of Fort Worth in Parker and Tarrant Counties in the U.S. state of Texas. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 10,947. Azle is the home of the Azle Marching Green Pride marching band and the Fighting Azle Hornets.Find Homes in Azle
Abilene is a city in Taylor and Jones counties in Texas, United States. The population was 122,999 at the 2019 census, making it the 27th-most populous city in the state of Texas. It is the principal city of the Abilene Metropolitan Statistical Area, which had a 2017 estimated population of 170,219.Find Homes in Abilene
Grapevine's story began in 1843 when General Sam Houston and representatives of the Republic of Texas met with members of 10 American Indian nations. They joined to negotiate a treaty of peace and friendship at Grape Vine Springs, also known as Tah-Wah-Karro Creek. It resulted in a document, the Treaty of Birds Fort (because they met at nearby Birds Fort), which opened the area to homesteaders. Within a year, the first settlers started arriving, rolling in on covered wagons, on the Grape Vine Prairie. The wild mustang grapes that were abundant there gave the area its name, Grapevine. Grapevine is the oldest settlement in Tarrant County, originating under the Lone Star flag of the Republic of Texas in 1844, a year before Texas was annexed by the United States of America.
Today, the city has grown into a thriving center of culture and commerce, anchored by the Grapevine hospitality industry. Venues such as the buildings alongFind Homes in Grapevine
The first wave of European settlers arrived in the rolling Cross Timbers country of north central Texas in the 1840s. Primarily of Scotch-Irish origins, these pioneer farmers came for the most part from southern states, following the frontier as it shifted west of the Mississippi. They entered an area where Native Americans had been living for thousands of years. The Comanche posed a serious threat to the settlers, and in 1849, the U.S. Army established Fort Worth to protect the farms along the sparsely populated frontier.
The area southeast of the fort (and of the Trinity River) was well protected and presumably fairly well settled by the early 1850s. In one well-documented case, eight related families migrated to the area in 1853 from Illinois. Three of the four Gibson brothers in this group established homesteads about 4 miles (6 km) northwest of present-day Mansfield. This settlement, which became known as the Gibson Community, included a school and a church building by 1860.
When R.S. Man and Julian Feild arrived around 1856 and built a grist mill at the crossroads that was to become the center of Mansfield, the beginnings of the community probably existed in the oak groves bordering Walnut Creek (originally called Cedar Bluff Creek). The Walnut Creek Congregation of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church had organized itself in 1854. Members met in each other's homes, so it is suspected that there was a cluster of houses in the area.
In 1856, Julian Feild purchased 540 acres (2.2 km2) in the Mansfield area. Man and Feild completed their three-story brick grist mill sometime between 1856 and 1859. The mill, which produced flour and meal, was the first built in North Texas to utilize steam power and enjoyed patronage as far south as San Antonio and as far north as Oklahoma. The location of the mill in southeastern Tarrant County perhaps reflects the advanced state of wheat cultivation in the area and the ready availability of wood to feed the mill's steam boilers.
Feild opened a general merchandise store at the same time as the mill, located across Broad Street. He built a log house for his family, which also served as an inn for travelers and customers. By 1860, the nucleus of the future city existed. The first post office was established that year, with Julian Feild as postmaster.
During the American Civil War, the Man and Feild Mill supplied meal and flour to the Confederate States Army, hauling it to Shreveport, Louisiana, and Jefferson City, Missouri. As was common practice, the owners tithed ten percent of the mill's production to the Confederacy. The small community around the mill was unique in Tarrant County in that it prospered throughout the Civil War. "Feild's Freighters", assembled in ox-drawn wagon trains, went as far as Fort Sill, Oklahoma, where a part of the Indian Wars raged in the southern plains in the late 1860s and 1870s.
The prospering community which had grown up around the Man and Feild mill took on the name of "Mansfeild", a combination of the names of the founders. Repeated misspellings over the years resulted in the acceptance of the conventional spelling of "Mansfield." The town incorporated in 1909, continuing to be a hub for the surrounding farmland.
In 1956, a federal court ordered the Mansfield Independent School District to desegregate; the first such order in Texas. Protests by 300 whites in front of Mansfield High School, to prevent three black students from enrolling, touched off one of the longest-running desegregation battles of the Civil Rights Movement. Mansfield's school quietly desegregated in 1965 as it faced a lack of federal funds.Find Homes in Mansfield
Saginaw (frequently known as Eagle Mountain–Saginaw) is a small city in Tarrant County, Texas, United States, and an Inner suburb of Fort Worth. The population was 21,899 in 2017. Saginaw is a Home rule municipality. The town was renamed Saginaw in 1882 by Jarvis J. Green (after his first choice of "Pontiac" was rejected by the United States Postal Service), who had lived and worked on Saginaw Street in Pontiac, Michigan. The name Saginaw comes from the Ojibwe language and means "to flow out." It is also the name of a river, a bay, and a city in Michigan.Find Homes in Saginaw
Make your next move your best move.